Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Thoreau

A few weeks ago, we lost a young man by the name of Darren Coffey who was back counry skiing at Mountain High in Wrightwood, CA and was struck by an avalanche. A friend of mine at work knew the young man and attended his services, her husband was his mentor. Though I had heard about the accident from my co-worker and the media I was overcome with emotion when reading the copy of his memorial program.

Moments before my co-worker handed me the program, I remembered that I had to turn in something inspirational at school tonight. I was overcome with emotion as I read this amazing and wonderful tribute and saw the pictures of this incredible person. Included in the program was a beautiful poem written by Louisa May Alcott regarding her friend Henry David Thoreau. I made copies and decided to share this with my classmates.

Thoreau's Flute

We, sighing, said "Our Pan is dead;
His pipe hangs mute beside the river;
Around it wistful sunbeams quiver;
But Music's airy voice is fled.
Spring mourns as for untimely frost;
The bluebird chants a requiem;
The willow-blossom waits for him;
The Genius of the wood is lost.

Then from the flute, untouched by hands,
There came a low, harmonious breath:
"For such as he there is no death;
His life the eternal life commands;
Above man's aims his nature rose.
The wisdom of a just content
Made one small spot a continent,
And turned to poetry life's prose.

"Haunting the hills, the stream, the wild,
Swallow and aster, lake and pine,
To him grew human or divine,
Fit mates for this large-hearted child.
Such homage Nature ne'er forgets,
And yearly on the coverlid
'Neath which her darling lieth hid
Will write his name in violets.

"To him no vain regrets belong
Whose soul, that finer instrument,
Gave to the world no poor lament,
But wood-notes ever sweet and strong.
O lonely friend! he still will be
A potent presence, though unseen,
Steadfast, sagacious, and serene;
Seek not for him - he is with thee."
-Louisa May Alcott

Learn more about Darren Coffey.

No comments: