Thursday, January 31, 2008

On my J-O-B

I have a job.

Like many, it's not glamourous, it's not really all that exciting but it covers our mortgage, groceries and a mani-pedi ever now and again. It doesnt bring the personal rewards that J recieves over at pancakes and french fries, watching her cherub children discover new things and grow. My job is also not like R's who was walking through the front lobby of her company and ran into the Foo Fighters, she also met Justin Timberlake (OK, the encounter with JT didnt happen at work but I had to throw him in, I have an itty bitty crush on the cutie pie). I have days at work, like everyone, where I want to gouge my eyes with the letter opener and sometimes wonder how long we could live off of our 457 (b) and 401(a) accounts. OK, maybe not everyone does or feels these things, but lets not forget I'm in "transition" of changing careers.

Yesterday was different, I had a really meaningful experience and have to share. I work for the County I reside in at our central office known as the C.A.C. (County Administration Center). Our county is the 2nd largest (in square miles) in the country and one of the fastest growing in the nation, for more info visit County of Riverside.

I work in Human Resources, in the Benefits division on the retirement team and I help people retire. Sometimes it's challenging usually it's rewarding but today I felt like a really made a difference. I had an oppourtunity to help a retiree/grandmother who is trying to access retirement funds for her daughter in-law who is 5 months pregnant and close to delivering. This is not rocket science, it is just way to early to deliver a baby at 5 months. This money she is waiting for will pay for medication that will help the baby develop quicker and is not covered by her insurance company, who is probably run by the devil, himself. Long story short, she used the wrong form, we didnt catch it, mom to be needs meds ASAP. The Mom -in law really poured her heart out and was crying as she shared this with me, it was really all I could do to pull back the tears and gave me a huge hug at the end.

Later in the day, I got to phone the Mom-in law and tell her that a check will be fed-ex'd tomorrow from Houston and she should recieve it on Friday afternoon at the latest. As we ended our conversation on the phone, she was in tears and said she will always remember me and pray for me. I thought, wow, with all she has on our plate, she is going to remember me.

I was given an oppourtunity to make a difference and I ran with it. I think I will always remember her, as well.

No comments: